Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Corsairs Storm Past Vikings

Corsairs Storm Past Vikings

SALEM, Mass. – Mary Brown (Leicester, Mass.) recorded a second-half hat trick as UMass Dartmouth scored six unanswered goals after halftime to win 7-1 over Salem State on "Senior Day" at Alumni Field. The Corsairs up their record to 3-16 and 2-10 in the Little East while the Vikings end their season 0-16, 0-12.

Salem State honored the members of its senior class in a pre-game ceremony. Captain, Katherine Crane (Arlington, Mass.), captain Alyssa Drouin (Methuen, Mass.) Emily Rapoza (Townsend, Mass.), Vanessa Yavorski (Georgetown, Mass.), Courtney Smith (Peabody, Mass.) and Danielle Hartford (Brockton, Mass.) were all recognized for their dedication and commitment to the field hockey program.

Playing in a gusty coastal and drenching nor'easter, Katherine Crane (Arlington, Mass.) managed to open the scoring for the Vikings in the 10th minute on an assist from Alyssa Drouin (Methuen, Mass.). However, UMass Dartmouth countered as Kylie Dias (Fall River, Mass.) tied the game in the 33rd minute off a feed from Ciara Anderson (Medway, Mass.).

With conditions continuing to worsen, both teams combined for just six shots on goal in the half.

UMass Dartmouth dominated possession in the second half, scoring six times on nine shots. Brown began the run and was followed by Lydia Stormwind (Littleton, Mass.) as the Corsairs took a 3-1 lead. Brittany Perry (North Dighton, Mass.) added another score in the 52 minute as UMass Dartmouth began to pull away. Brown notched her second of the game less than two minutes later before Anderson cemented a one-goal, two assist game, with a score in the 57th minute.

Brown closed the scoring with an unassisted goal in the 61st minute.

Ariel St. Germaine (Wareham, Mass.) allowed a goal and earned two saves in the start for the Corsairs. Katelyn Banalewicz (Fall River, Mass.) and Allison Burke (Franklin, Mass.) each saw time in net in the second half, combining for one stop.

Kaitlyn O'Shea (Ledgewood, N.J.) took the loss for the Vikings, making five stops and was replaced in the second half after being injured by Kelli McCarthy (Foxborough, Mass.), who ended with a goal allowed and a save.